Badoo.com tops 100 million users… by reinventing social networking and online dating
• Becomes world’s largest & fastest-growing “social dating” site
• Badoo is creating the new online category of “social dating”: the love-child of social networking and “traditional” online dating.
• What Facebook is for managing existing relationships, Badoo is for making new ones
London, UK – January 27, 2011 – Badoo.com (www.badoo.com), the world’s largest and fastest-growing “social dating” site, today announces that it has passed the milestone of 100 million users.
It has done so by reinventing both social networking and online dating, spearheading the new online category of “social dating” – the love-child of social networking and “traditional” online dating.
The four year-old start-up is registering over 300,000 new users each day (nearly 10m per month), making Badoo the planet’s largest social network for meeting new people locally.
It is a global, multi-lingual, location-based, “social dating” network, focused on chatting, flirting and meeting new people. In recent months, Badoo has expanded not just its user-base but also its services, launching both iPhone and Facebook apps with huge success. Badoo’s Facebook app has become the world’s largest and fastest-growing Facebook dating app.
Badoo has achieved this growth by helping to create the new web category of “social dating” – a hybrid of social networking (like Facebook) and “traditional” dating sites (like Match.com or eHarmony.com). In the process, it is rewriting the rules of online dating and meeting.
“The first and biggest shift is from ‘marital dating’ to ‘social dating’ or casual dating”, says Bart Swanson, Badoo COO.
Second, the rise of geo-location apps, able to pinpoint a mobile user’s location, and the spread of smart-phones, means that there is also a shift from dating based on shared interests to dating based on location – alias “dating by satnav”.
Third, this in turn is prompting a shift in time horizons – from planning a date in a week’s time to arranging one in an hour’s time… or right here and now.
“In short, online dating is no longer all about meeting your spouse or life-partner. It’s about meeting a lot of people in a short time, at short notice, in an easy, fun, relaxed manner, says Swanson.”
Finally, all these changes are combining to remove the lingering stigma associated with online dating. Online dating is on its way to becoming something that everyone does – and many boast about.
“We are enabling social change, both offline and on”, says Swanson.
The rise of Badoo is also helping to change the way that people present themselves online. “People are starting to use different sites to manage different areas of their lives”, concludes Swanson. “While Facebook is the place they use for managing their existing relationships, Badoo is becoming the one they use for making new ones.”
• KEY FACTS
• Over 100 million registered users… in 180+ countries
• Over 300,000 new users a day – nearly 10m per month
• Seven billion page views per month
• Three million photos and videos uploaded daily.
• Available in 22 languages
• Among the top 140 sites in the world (Alexa.com Ranking)
• Among the 50 most popular sites in France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Chile, Venezuela,
• Among top 10 sites in Cameroon, Congo and Angola!
• 200+ employees, who speak 24 languages
• World’s largest, fasted-growing Facebook dating app.
• Badoo's Facebook app is used by over 23 million people per month and ranks seventh in the top 10 of all Facebook apps: http://www.appdata.com/
• World’s second largest social network for over-18s (behind Orkut.com).
• Badoo's iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch App has been downloaded by half a million people in the last three months